Editing Your Drupal Site: Quick Overview
How-To: Drupal Website
Accessing the Website
To log into the site: http://your-domain-name/cas OR http://your-domain-name/user
To edit content on the site, the link to edit either takes the form of a tab at the top of the content or a small gray gear when you hover over a piece of content (shown below).
Once in the editing interface, you’ll usually find areas of text with text editors attached to them. To learn more about editing within these areas, go to:
Adding Content with Content Types
To create new content, hover over the “Content” link in the top left side in the administration bar and click “Add content.” There are a variety of types of content that can be added to your site. These types may include the ones listed below.
Use basic pages for your static content, such as an 'About us' page.
Use an expanding page to create a page with sections that expand when a user clicks on the headings—useful for FAQ displays and long pages with many sections.
Use persons to add to the personnel directory of your website at /people.
Use event to add items to the calendar of your website.
Use media to add videos to the website.
To view every piece of content on the site, click the “Content” link in the administration bar. In that interface you can find content and administer it.
Unpublishing vs. Deleting Content
Do not delete content unless you are absolutely certain you don’t want to see it again. If you have permissions to delete content, do not delete content unless you are absolutely certain you don’t want to see it again. If content is deleted, the only way to retrieve it is to pull up a database backup and roll back the site.
The best way to remove content from view is to unpublish it. When you unpublish something, its background turns pink, it drops out of the menu (if it has a link in the menu), and it drops out of any lists—it cannot be accessed unless you’re signed into the site.
To unpublish an item:
- Edit the piece of content.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the form.
- Click “Publishing options” and uncheck the published checkbox and save.
On pages that show list of items, you may have an option to reorder the items manually. Simply hover over the page content and click the uppermost right gear and click “Order view.”
You’ll be taken to an interface where you can drag and drop the items in the desired order and save.
Menus and URL Aliases
To give content specific aliases:
- Edit the piece of content you want to have a specific alias.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the form and click on “URL path settings.”
- Uncheck the “Generate automatic URL alias” checkbox.
- Type in the desired alias in the text field—exclude the site’s root URL and beginning forward slash.
- Click save.
In some cases, users have the ability to assign content as a menu item:
- Edit the piece of content you want to have in the site’s menu.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the form and click on “Menu settings” (if the item you are editing does not have a menu settings option, then it is not allowed to be in the site’s menu).
- Check the “Provide a menu link” checkbox, and options will appear to create the menu link.
Please note the image above displays only an example how the “About SASG” content was added as menu item
Menu link title - text that appears on the menu
Description - additional text that appears when hovering over the link
Parent item - where the item lives in the menu hierarchy
Weight (not very user-friendly) - what place the item takes in the menu order: lighter numbers = higher, heavier numbers = lower
- Configure the menu item where you want it and click save.
Additionally, you may have permissions to edit the entire menu, add new links, enable/disable links, and reorder items with a drag and drop interface by going to the Admin toolbar and going to Structure → Menus → Main menu (NOT Navigation).